tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 04 17:09:25 2003

Re: Klingon WOTD: tem (v)

Le Nguyen Xuan Dien wrote:
 > >deny: that means you disagree from some suggestions !

Voragh:
> > Not quite.  It means you disagree from an *accusation*.  E.g.:
> >
> >    qapumchugh, pumwIj DatemlaH pagh DachIDlaH.
> >    If I accuse you, you can either deny or admit my accusation.
> >
> > For suggestions we have {Qoch} "disagree" vs. {Qochbe'} "agree".

...Paul:

>I think I blew past any analysis of {tem}...  But was there mention of
>"deny" in the context of "disallow" or "keep from"?  As in, "He was denied
>legal counsel"?

Not that I recall.  I did find this English quote in my notes from the
novel "Diplomatic Implausibility":

   During a legal proceeding, the accused is denied combat, and so must
   have a second, called a {cha'DIch}, to defend him or her.

But in this case, I think {... 'e' chaw'be'/chaw'Qo'} "not/refuse to allow
(permit) that ..." works for this sense of "deny".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level