tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 06 09:51:08 2003

Re: be'Hom loDHom je

Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
> {qup} "elder"  - {puq} "child" backwards BTW! - is another odd word.
> How would this be different from *{qanwI'} "old person (one who is old)"?
> It probably has more to do with rank or importance rather than just age

Given one of the examples you gave of "elder" in KGT:

> "Klingons revere their ancestors, respect their elders, and have
> unparalleled veneration for heritage." (KGT 133)

...I would suggest that possibly {qup} would be more respectful than
*{qanwI'}...

But then again, the others:

> "Younger Klingons describe some of the vocabulary used by their elders as
> {mu'mey Doy'} ("tired words")..." (KGT 35)
>
> "As he describes the thrill of his first hunt, Toq (Sterling Macer) reminds
> his elders of what it is to be Klingon." (KGT 90)
>
> "Younger Klingons, while accepting their heritage and observing the ancient
> rites, see some aspects of their elders' behavior and beliefs as, if not
> obsolete, then just old-fashioned." (KGT 133)

...don't seem as respectful as a whole (though of course it is Okrand using
the word "elder(s)", not Maltz).  But still, I could see *{qanwI'} being
outright derogatory -- sort of implying that one is just succumbing to time
instead of living to old age proudly.  Seems vaguely Klingon, that.
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729    [email protected] [NEW!]  VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||