tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 03 12:54:15 2003

Re: be'Hom loDHom je

be'Hom, be', and be''a' fit nicely with the hearthen concept of "maiden,
mother, crone".  :)

...Paul

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, Tad Stauffer wrote:

> At 01:33 PM 8/2/2003 -0500, naHQun wrote:
> >alright, I know that <be'Hom> is girl
> >and that <loDHom> is boy
> >and like wise <be'> and <loD> are male, female/man, woman
> >respectively.
> >And <-Hom> is a diminutive suffix; which all makes sense.
> >
> >But it would also make sense that since we have a <be'> and a <be'Hom>
> >to have a <be''a'>
> >
> >How would that be perceived/translated?
>
> You really should have been at the qep'a' this past week :-) - we had an
> entire panel/discussion time for the {-'a'} and {-Hom} noun suffixes and
> how different people might interpret them differently. You could wait for
> Lawrence to write something for a future issue of HolQeD ('e' nablaw'
> ghaH), and that will give you more insight to this.
>
> The existance of {be'Hom} doesn't necessarily imply that {be''a'} is
> equally as common a word; we have the word {'uj} (a distance of about 35
> centimeters) and {'uj'a'} (a distance of 9 {'uj}), but not {'ujHom}.
>
> Before you read below what I think {be''a'} might be, consider what *you*
> think of when you hear {be''a'}. I'm sure the grammarians that were on the
> panel from the qep'a' will have more to add :-)
>
> For this specific example, with no other context, I might say that {be''a'}
> would be an older, more respected woman of a community, since {be'Hom} is a
> younger, less matured woman. Or maybe {be''a} refers to a female superhero
> (I could think of {loD'a'} as "(a) superman"). Or maybe {be''a'} could be a
> beautiful, ideal woman that makes your jaw drop, e.g. {be''a' ghaH matlh
> be'nal'e'!} "Now Maltz's wife, *she* is a *woman*!" Hmmm, although that
> meaning could be covered by {be'na'}.
>
> - taD

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
            "This above all:  to thine own self be true"
                    -- Hamlet, Act I, Scene III

Back to archive top level