tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 29 09:23:08 2002

Re: Klingon alphabet -pIqaD

From: "Qov" <[email protected]>
> lab SuStel
>  > From: "qurgh lungqIj" <[email protected]>
>  > > Although, are writing systems covered by linguistics, > > or is the
field
>  > > not that wide? HolQeD'e' pagh vISov.
>  >
>  > Dunqu' mu'tlheghvam!!
>
> Do'Ha' pabbe' mu'tlheghvetlh.

bIlughbe'.  pabbejqu' mu'tlhegh.

> DIp DIp lo'lu'DI', DIp wa'DIchDaq mojaq
> vaghDIch lanlu' net tuch.  mojaq vaghDIch 'oH <-'e'>'e'.

DIp DIp lo'be'pu'.

This wasn't a noun-noun construction.  He used /HolQeD'e'/ as a noun in a
header position, and /pagh/ in the object position.

The topic of the sentence is /HolQeD/.  Regarding /HolQeD/, he knows
nothing.

This is no different grammatically than something like

DujDaq pagh vIlegh.

You'll agree there's no noun-noun there.  The structure is
Header-Object-Verb, as it is with his sentence.

And yes, we can use topicalized nouns like this.  The canon example is

qIbDaq SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS.
You would be the greatest warrior in the galaxy.  (Star Trek V)
Literally: "In the galaxy, topic: warrior, you are the most wonderful."

SuStel
Stardate 2079.7

Back to archive top level