tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 03 15:49:18 2002

Re: QAO?! question as antecedent of 'e'!!

I had not yet gotten to this earlier message that had specific examples of
attempts at QAO. In my earlier response, I argued against talking about it
without examples, so now I feel obliged to address the specific examples.

> qatlh per "QAO" lo'lu'? mujbej pervam.
>
> Hey, isn't the label "question-as-object" a misnomer?

No. The pronoun {'e'} represents the previous sentence, and through that
representation, the sentence becomes the direct object of the following
sentence. If that earlier sentence is a question, then the {'e'} essentially
becomes a question because it represents a question.

The nit you pick here has no significance. It is not a revellation.

> In fact, it seems that even the label "statement-as-object"
> is often misused. In the following examples only sentence (1)
> contains a statement, i.e. {yaHlIj Dalon} that functions as
> the object of the verb {luneH}.
>
> (1) yaHlIj Dalon luneH
>     literally: You abandon your station;
>                They want that.
>
> (2) yaHlIj Dalon 'e' luSov
>     literally: You abandon(ed) your station;
>                They know that.
>
> (3) qatlh yaHlIj Dalon 'e' luSovbe'
>     literally: Why did/do you abandon your station?;
>                They don't know that.

Better would be:

yaHlIj DalonmeH meqlIj luSovbe'.

Literally, that is, "They don't know your 'in-order-that-you-abandon-your-duty-
station reason." It sounds awkward in English, but in Klingon, it is very
natural, since {-meH} clauses can modify nouns as well as verbs. What is the
purpose of your reason? It is that you abandon your duty station.
Whoever "they" are, they don't know your reason.

This is much more direct than the more vague QAO. In your example, what is it
that they don't know? They don't know the ANSWER to the question stated. You
can't know a question. You can only know the answer to a question. You can ask
a question, but you can't KNOW a question. See the problem here?

> In (2) we have a complex sentence consisting of two *complete*
> sentences (clauses): {yaHlIj Dalon}  and  {'e' luSov}.
> The object of the latter is the pronoun 'e', not
> the preceding sentence. Semantically {yaHlIj Dalon} is
> coreferential with 'e' but in terms of grammar it is
> merely a preceding sentence.

I think you are misinterpreting the grammar here. The link is stronger than you
suggest. The pronoun {'e'} is meaningless if it doesn't represent what preceeds
it. It essentially enables an otherwise impossible grammar, allowing an entire
sentence to function as the direct object of a verb. We have no direct
equivalent in English, so in English, we translate these two sentences as if
they were one.

Also note that Okrand likely never expected anyone to stretch this as far as
this, and also likely never expected us to use SAO as much as we have.
Originally, he only expected it to be used for an extremely small set of second
verbs. I think he's been surprised by how widely we've expanded the vocabulary
of acceptable verbs for the second part of SAO. Read TKD again on this topic
with this in mind.

> Likewise, in (3), whose grammaticality is often disputed,
> we have a grammatically complete question {qatlh yaHlIj Dalon}, followed by
> another *complete* sentence {'e' luSovbe'}.
> The object of that sentence is the pronoun 'e'.

You can't separate these like you are attempting to separate them. {'e'} is
meaningless without a specific reference. When Okrand wrote this, it's pretty
clear from all his examples and discussions that he intended it to be used with
statements, but he never considered that the term "sentence" included other
kinds of sentences than statements. He just didn't think about it. The
word "sentence" is a little more accessible to the general public for which TKD
was intended than is the word "statement". Most likely, that's why he chose
that word. Meanwhile, since we've brought up this idea, he likes to see how
we've twisted that idea around. It is all interesting to him. Maybe he'll use
this extention to his original idea someday. Maybe not. So far, he hasn't.

> Although {qatlh yaHlIj Dalon} is the antecedent of 'e',
> it is not part of {'e' luSovbe'}.

You misunderstand the grammar. You think you have a new, useful insight into
this. You don't. The pronoun {'e'} represents the previous sentence. If that
sentence is a question, then {'e'} is a question. You can't dodge this by just
referring to it as a pronoun.

Other pronouns can be used as verbs. While they are used as verbs, they take
verb suffixes. They are still called pronouns, but they act grammatically as
verbs and you can't have them act as verbs and nouns at the same time, even
while you continue to call them pronouns.

{'e'} is a special pronoun that requires something to represent. That
something, so far as we now understand it, needs to be a statement. Okrand used
the word "sentence" instead of "statement", but by all evidence and
conversations on this topic up to this time, it really needs to be a specific
subset of "sentence" known as a statement. Until he explains some instance of
it being valid to expand that to include questions, we have no basis for using
a question as the sentence represented by {'e'}.

> What could it be?
> It is not an adverb, it is not a header noun and
> most emphatically it is NOT an object. The object is {'e'}.
>
> So, the problem is not whether questions can be used
> as objects of sentences: they cannot.
>
> The problem is what kind of construct can the pronoun 'e'
> refer to: only to statements or to other sentence types
> as well, i.e. to questions and orders.

You are jumping back and forth on what {'e'} is, just as someone might jump
back and forth on what a pronoun is while it is used as a verb. This is not a
useful argument.

> I realize that many may object to my next example, but
> couldn't (4) be used to call a reluctant crewman to order?
>
> (4) yaHlIj yIlon 'e' vIra' jIH'e', HoDlI'.
>     literally: Abandon your station!
>                I, your captain, order that.

SuStel gave a great example of a better way to say this. It would be much more
of Klingon character to say what he said, or other things similar to:

yaHlIj yIlon! HoDlI' jIH 'ej qara'!

> 'ISqu'
>

> PS  batlh DIS chu' botagh 'e' vItul.

qaStaHvIS Hogh vebHa' Dunqu'taH yInwIj.