tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 08 16:29:46 2002

Re: to' nech, 010: {boQ rur}

Sean M. Burke wrote:
>K: boQ rur.
>Gloss: Like water.  [a simile for weakness, or wrongness]
>Eno/Schmidt: Water

Wolf Anglemyer:
 > I am at a puzzlement with your word boQ according to my TKD boQ is both
a noun
 > and a verb meaning aide or assist (p 81 ) and that biQ also (p 81) was
the noun
 > water.

Wolf is right; {bIQ} is water.  Coincidentally, Klingons use the same simile:

   puj; bIQ rur
   weak as water (KGT)

   "The Klingons equate water with weakness. Anything is better than water;
   the less waterlike, the better." (KGT 35)

The imagery shows up in proverbs:

   tlhutlhmeH HIq ngeb qaq law' bIQ qaq puS
   Drinking fake ale is better than drinking water. TKW

and in idioms:

   bIQ ngaS HIvje'
  The cup contains water
  (idiom: be quite mistaken, be totally wrong") KGT

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level