tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 30 14:03:56 2001

RE: libraries and cars

My problem with these terms is that they are so ambiguous. When I saw {muD
lupwI'}, I thought he was talking about a fan or blower. yav lupwI' might
be a utility vehicle for transporting topsoil.

I'm sure that context would help, but the simple truth is, the language is
really weak in vehicular vocabulary. Apparently, Maltz spent his life on a
ship or in cities and never travelled much except on foot or on a jitney or
shuttlecraft or got beamed around a lot. I often wish it were otherwise,
but I haven't found any really satifying words for most of the vehicles we
use in our terran lives.

SarrIS

> From: Eric Andeen <[email protected]>
> Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:54:43 -0700

> lay'tel SIvten:
>
>> is  lup 'transport'  used only in the sense of star trek transporters
>> (eg,
>
>> "beam me up, scotty!") or can it be used also in the sense of
>> transporting
> by
>> vehicle?  if the latter, then how about  muD lupwI' for air transport
>> (airplane) and  yav lupwI'  for ground transport
>> (car/truck/bus/bike/train
>
>> etc.)?
>
> Actually, <lup> is *NOT* used for the "transporter" in Star Trek. For
> that, we have the verbs <jol> - "beam (aboard)" and <Qol> - "beam away",
> as well as the nouns <jol> - "transport beam", <jolpa'> - "transporter
> room", <jolpat> - "transporter system" and <jolvoy'> - "transporter
> ionizer unit".
>
> The verb <lup> - "transport" is related to the nouns <lupwI'> - "jitney,
> bus" and <lupDujHom> - "shuttlecraft", so transportation in a vehicle
> certainly fits in with <lup>.
>
> pagh

Back to archive top level