tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 15 16:04:48 2001

RE: Newbie: Question

Pants is just a slang word. I don't know if I can explain but if someone
said my tlhIngan Hol was pants it would be a derogative remark about my
tlhIngan Hol or equating it to a pair of underpants.  I hope that makes
sense and it isn't pants!

> : I can find no word for poverty, but chep is the verb for be
> prosperous so I
> : thought chepbe'ghach could be used for poverty.
>
> Not bad, but "prosper, be prosperous" doesn't necessarily
> imply financially.
> Okrand used {chep} to translate the Vulcan greeting "Live
> long and prosper!" in
> two different venues (I particularly like the first one):
>
>   yIn nI' yISIQ 'ej yIchep.
>
>   yItaH 'ej yIcheptaH.
>
> We also have the noun {mIp} "wealth, richness", used in the
> "Power Klingon"
> audiotape:

I would say it refers to the first as in not necessarilly involving
finances.

> : There isn't a word for pants either.
>
> Not in _The Klingon Dictionary_ (TKD), but there's more
> vocabulary presented in
> _Klingon for the Galactic Traveller_ (KGT) which I highly
> recommend.  The word
> is {yopwaH} "pants, trousers":

I agree and that's what I ended up using. Unfortunately 'pants' in UK refers
to underwear.

>   "A skin belt (qogh) both held pants (yopwaH) in place and provided
>    a place from which to hang weapons or weapon holders." (KGT p.58)
>

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level