tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 07 19:13:42 1999

Long lanes and empty trash barrels

Here I am again, resurfacing for a quick breath of that wonderful
tlhIngan muD.  As is typical, there is something in-particular that
brings me back.  Though I don't usually have time to wade through the
messages here, I do try to keep involved in my local Klingon community.
BTW, I will be the Klingon Guest of Honour at DucKon here in Chicago in
June (father's day weekend).  I get asked from time to time (as I'm sure
many of you do) to translate this or that favourite phrase.  My latest
was one of my more enjoyable ones and I wanted to bring it to the
"think-tank" to get opinions.  First I will present the original
English, then my literal tlhIngan followed by my figurative tlhIngan.
All opinions welcome on the understood meaning of the English, my
grammar, my style, and whatever else you feel needs to be said in this
context.

English: It's a long lane with no empty ash barrels.

Literal: veQ ngaSwI' chIm ghajbe'bogh He'e' tIq DaghoS

Figurative: may' nI' Danej nIrachbogh negh DaHutlhtaHvIS

janSIy

Back to archive top level