tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 02 12:46:28 1999

Re: Posts

> I agree with Eric A and Mike T that doing the translations yourself is the
> only real way to "get" and enjoy this post-system. I have noticed a few times
> that important information, like airplane arrival time/place, have had English
> accompanyment. I imagine that would be for clarity, to prevent a missed
> rondesvous in case someone translated
> wrongly.
> To me the posts are like a gamble. Which ones will I enjoy? I can only
> translate a few, so I have to decide which to print, then take to the coffee
> shop and work on over a few espressos. It is more fun than a puzzle, as you
> end up with a message from a real person! (though some posts make me feel like
> it's eavesdropping) My barristas think I'm nuts when after 30 minutes of
> intense scribbling I'll suddenly laugh, or slap my
> forehead.
> If I'm feeling ambitious enough, I try to compose a response, or if not,
> something else. The apprehension comes later, waiting for the post to appear
> with all of my mistakes corrected.. As a beginner it can be humbling to think
> you are being clever only to to have your posted mistakes relegated to the
> "Duh!" file. But this is a good thing. I have always tried to avoid being a
> stupid-looking beginner which had resulted in me not learning a damn thing.

    My only complaint about the posts is that the text is not double spaced. I
use a red pen in TEENY, TINY letters to write the verbs and nouns I have to look
up, then go back & do the prefix/suffix thing. This is great for simple
sentences. I have to white knuckle thru the rest, chew pencils and have noticed
my TKD is getting rather dog eared. It's rare i can translate the entire post
and be certain I am correct, but I get the message. Chapter 6 is really easy to
find now due to all the biscotti <yuch> stains.

Ms. Pillow

Back to archive top level