tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 02 11:20:07 1999

RE: Posts

jatlh Qel:

> Hey, could you guys translate your own posts? for people
> like me, we cant read them at all (I end up deleting them)

I don't think you realize what you are asking. Many of the Klingon posts
here are made by people who speak Klingon well and just want to chat with
friends - in Klingon. We compose the messages in Klingon, without any
thought as to how they sound in English. Translating every message into
English would turn this list from a fun place to use the language into a
chore.

If you want to learn Klingon, one of the best ways to do it is to try to
read some of the posts. Start with the KLBC posts and the corrections I
make, and post some of your own as well. When feel comfortable with that,
try reading some of the shorter Klingon posts from the more skilled speakers
(like ghunchu'wI' and charghwI').

> and yes pagh, your right, some languages are harder, like
> klingon (thats one i have troubles with).

Actually, Klingon is a lot less complex than most natural languages, with
very few exceptions to the rules. The reason it's difficult is that it is
very different from English.

> Also what is jatlh? A greeting? i thought the only
> klingon greeting was Nuq' Neh, what do yuou want?

<jatlh> is a verb meaning "speak, say". It's the way many people here quote
text from previous messages. <jatlh Qel:> means "Qel said:"

And you are correct, the only Klingon greeting is <nuqneH>.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ