tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 17 12:32:57 1998

Klingon love... one more time!

: > so could one just say bangwI' SoH?
: >
: > -StaZ
:
: Remember the scene in ST3 when Valkris is saying goodbye to
: Kruge, knowing that he is about to kill her:
:    Qapla', jawwI'... bangwI' je.

>From my transcript:

Valkris:  Qapla' jawwI' bangwI' je
	  Success my lord and my love.               (movie subtitle)
	  "She spoke again, in formal tongue, to Kruge. 'Success,
	   Commander. And my love.'"                   (novelization)

Hmmm... Now that I see this again, I wonder which "love" Harve Bennett, who
wrote the screenplay, meant?  Okrand interpreted it as "my loved one" (i.e.
Valkris wished "success" to her lord and lover), while Vonda McIntyre, who
adapted an early copy of the script into the novel, read it as the abstract
noun (i.e. Valkris wished him "love" as well as "success").  I wonder which
reading actress Cathy Shirriff thought she was giving?

: I think given that, it would be quite appropriate to say
: {bangwI' SoH}.

Or just growl {bangwI'} while staring meaningfully into your Significant
Other's eyes, avoiding distractions like correct grammar entirely!

: charghwI' 'utlh

--
Voragh                           "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons     lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level