tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 16 14:32:42 1998

RE: KLBC: vIghro'

: lab HovqIj:
:
: > muD Dotlh qabmo' maw'law'.
:
: I do wonder, though, if weather can be "bad". There's nothing wrong with
: your sentence; just something to think about.

We have almost no idea how Klingons talk about refer to the weather, only
that they do it seldom:

  Unlike most speakers of English, who begin conversations with greetings,
  inquiries about the state of health of the conversants, and remarks about
  the weather, Klingons tend to begin conversations by simply stating the
  main points." (MO in TKD p.10)

  The Klingon word for 'weather' meaning the state of the atmosphere, is
  the same as the word for 'atmosphere' itself, {muD}. When inquiring about
  specific weather conditions at a specific time and/or place, the expression
  {muD Dotlh} (literally, 'atmosphere status') is used." (MO in HolQeD 2.4)

  It rained a few times during the weekend, so we were put into the situation
  to discuss it. SIS. SISqu'. SIStaH. SISchoH. All correct. SISlu', although
  grammatically correct, he didn't particularly like... You can also give it
  an object and say things like the clouds rained down cats and dogs... you
  get the idea. But when Marc and I went outside and drops of water were
  falling on us, he looked up and simply said 'SIS'."  (DloraH, personal
  conversation with MO at a convention, 5/98)

{qab} "be bad" has only been used once, clipped, said to a misbehaving pet:

  qab! Ha'DIbaH qab!
  Bad! Bad animal!  (PK)

: > 'ej pa' QamchoH. muD bIr tlhuH. loQ tI bej, loQ jIH mubej,
: > tlhe''egh, juHDaq chegh.
:
: I think this transitive usage of <tlhe'> is correct, but just <tlhe'>
: alone may work as well. I don't have any notes on the usage or
: transitivity of <tlhe'>, so I can't be sure. Perhaps Voragh will
: contribute...

Okrand has never used the verb {tlhe'} "turn", so we have no idea whether it
is transitive or intransitive.  Likewise, {DIng} "spin" and {bav} "orbit"
have never appeared in canon.  So until Okrand uses these, decide for yourself.

: pagh
: Beginners' Grammarian

--
Voragh                           "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons     lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level