tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 15 02:51:02 1998

Re: How do I say...

Of course, this is one of those times when the optional word
order can help.

be' legh torgh naghtaHvIS torgh.

In this case, I think it does help to repeat {torgh}, since
otherwise you get into problems considering whether or not torgh
is dreaming or the woman or if there is a third person doing the
seeing. In Klingon, it is fine to repeat, especially when it
helps the clarity this much.

charghwI'

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 14:17:46 -0700 (PDT) Marc Ruehlaender
<[email protected]> wrote:

> > :    najtaHvIS torgh, be' legh.
> > :
> >     "While Torg is dreaming, he sees a woman."
> >
> > Absolutely.  But I notice you needed to add a comma after {torgh} to
> > distinguish this from:
> >
> >      najtaHvIS, torgh be' legh.
> >      While s/he is dreaming, s/he sees Torg's woman.
> >
> bIlugh jay' :)
> of course you have the same problem, kind of, with full stops:
>
> naj torgh. be' legh.      vs      naj. torgh be' legh.
>
> hmmm...
>
> > Punctuation is a wonderfully simple invention, allowing great subtlety in
> > the written language.  (In speech of course you'd use pauses of different
> > lengths or intonation to distinguish the various meanings.)  We shouldn't
> > hesitate to take advantage of it to add precision - dare I say "accuracy" -
> > and power to our writing.
> >
> I, of course, let myself be guided by German punctuation rules...
>
>                                            Marc Ruehlaender
>                                            aka HomDoq
>                                            [email protected]

charghwI' 'utlh