tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 14 09:32:47 1998

Re: Missing Vocab. ?

: On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Chris McDade wrote:
: >I was surprised not to find a Klingon word for 'Death'. Is this just an
: >oversight on my behalf?
:
: tlhIngan Hol is a very economical language.  Several related meanings can
: (and often do) exist for the same word.  Hegh (dead) is also used for
: death, like in Hegh'ba' (death ritual).
:
: KirneH

Use {Heghbat} for "ritual suicide" -- this spelling comes from The Klingon
Way & Klingon for the Galactic Traveller.  *{Heghba'} appeared in Crispin's
earlier novel _Sarek_, for which Okrand supplied some vocabulary.  (Whether
Okrand reconsidered the spelling, or it was distorted in the editing, we're
not sure.  It may not even be Okrand's suggestion, as the Hegh'ba' was
featured in the TNG episode "Ethics".)

Other examples are {Hegh bey} "death howl" (n.) (SkyBox S31/KGT?) and
{Heghtay} "death ritual" (n.) (KCD/KGT).

--
Voragh                           "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons     lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level