tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 13 11:40:14 1998

Re: KLBC - chetvI' yIHuvmoH

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998 20:08:14 -0700 (PDT) Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> tuv'el jang pagh:
> >>not ghollI' yImuS.
> >>"Never hate your opponent."
> >
> >maj. Daj vIttlheghvam. chaq tlhIngan SuvwI'vaD Huj...
>
> wa'logh jaghvaD bom charghwI': qamuSneS.

bIqawmo' chobelmoHneS.

> >>lInDab tum SopwI'pa'Daq wejpujHey wItu'pu'.
> >>"We have found what seems to be trilithium in
> >>the mess hall at the agency of espionage."
> >
> >maj. We can't be certain, of course, that trilithium is <wejpuj>, but I
> >don't have a problem with it.
>
> vIpar jIH.  vuDwIj neH 'oH.

ghaytan qar 'ach muSeymoHbe' mu'vam.

> >>yapmeH bIvaQ.
> >>"You are not aggresive enough."
> >
> >AAAAHHHHH!!!! Kill it!
> >
> >Seriously, though, this is a hard thought to express in Klingon. I would do
> >it in two sentences: <bIvaQqu'be'. yapbe'.> I welcome other suggestions.
>
> SoHna' vaQ law' SoHqoq vaQ puS.

Daj. Klingon doesn't have an irrealis -- a natural way to speak
of things that do not actually exist, as in, "I would fly, if I
had wings." By the Klingon perspective, I don't have wings, so
what is the point here? So to say, "You are not aggressive
enough," is a half statement. You are not aggressive enough for
WHAT? {bIvaQchoHbe'chugh bIQapbe'ba'.} Or, there's the ever
popular: {bI-X-be'chugh vaj bIHegh!} which in this case becomes
{bIvaQbe'chugh vaj bIHegh!}

I think these or something nearer to them would better express
this meaning than any of the earlier suggestions. I can
understand what ghunchu'wI' is saying here, but it seems a
little cryptic. pagh's words work better for me, but it seems
too analytical; trying to hold on too literally to the English
meaning. It is a good dig, however. Certainly honorable.

I don't wish to seem arrogant here. Maybe others like other
castings better, or maybe someone will come up with something
better yet. vuDwIj neH 'oH vuvvam'e'

> -- ghunchu'wI'

charghwI'

Back to archive top level