tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 13 11:23:41 1998

Re: Ke'Plak

>In a message dated 98-09-11 11:05:30 EDT, Voragh writes:
>
><< to'baj 'uS lughoDlu'bogh tIlaj!
>   Accept these stuffed tobbaj legs!  PK >>
>
>Since this is from a canon source, it must be correct.  However:
>lughoD indicates that to'baj 'uS is grammatically singular even if
>inherently plural. And, tIlaj indicates a plural object. Inconsistent!
>
>peHruS

{lughoD} does mean "they stuff it", but you forgot that {-lu'} *reverses* the
usual meaning of the prefix.  Cf. TKD 4.2.5 "Type 5: Indefinate Subject",
specifically the top of p.39:

   Similarly, the prefix {lu-}, which normally means "they do something
   to him/her", becomes "someone/something does something to them".

Thus {to'baj 'uS lughoDlu'bogh} "tobbaj legs which someone stuffed" is an
unmarked plural - like {qagh}, perhaps, because you never eat just one? - and
requires the {tI-} imperative prefix, "accept them!"

The mistake is an easy one to make.  For me {-lu'} is the most confusing
suffix, and I always have to double check that I've used the right verb
prefix - or rather the *wrong* one - correctly.

--
Voragh                          "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons    lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level