tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 13 01:00:00 1998

Re: KIDC on KLI

--Qor'etlh <[email protected]> wrote:

> FYI:
> The subject is: Klingon Language Institute.
> To read that message and others in the same conversation thread, go
to:

vIlaD.  jIjang.  wa' bepwI' vIqaw.  latlh vIghovbe'.

vIt chaH.  po'chugh vay' qoj nom ghojlaHchugh, wIlaj.  reHchugh neH
qoj Hol qech yajbe'law' wIboQ, 'ach loQ wIbuSHa'.

I joined the KLI with an interest in speaking pure, conservative
Okrandian Klingon -- in fact I *ignored* the KLI for years because I
assumed that in order to translate the Bible they had to be making up
their own rules.  How's *that* for elitist?  Standards so exclusive I
wasn't going to play with anyone but me!  I had independently arrived
at an appreciation for the rigid constraints we put on "correct"
Klingon.  Therefore I don't think that there is a KLI elite that
railroads everyone into a self-created concept of what is correct.

But it is true that we have an elite with an agenda.  The agenda is
adherence to strict Klingon grammar, and the methods of eliciting this
behaviour include praise and good treatment for those who comply, and
ridicule, ad hominum attacks, arguing our superiority over and/or
ignoring those who do not.  From my experience these are the usual
techniques used in male-dominated academic institutions, and I have
learned them well.

nuvpu' puS boweghqangchugh, chaq mIw bochoHlaH, 'ach ghaytan
chetammoHta'DI' nargh chu'wI'pu'.

==
Qov - pab 'utlh