tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 03 16:19:09 1998

Re: tlhingan-hol numeric system

Did somebody mention Klingon numbers?

Long ago our ancestors used a ternary number system (TKD p52).  It is not a
base-3 system as we would think of it.  It doesn't use a 0 as a place holder.
1, 2, 3, 11, 12, 13, 21, 22, 23, 31, 32, 33, 111, 112, 113, 121, 122, etc.

With the expansion of the Empire came exposure to other cultures, and other
ways of thinking... including number system.  In Paramounts would of Star
Trek everyone speaks english and uses our base-10 system.  So the klingons
adapted this base-10 system so they could understand technological data from
other cultures (ie: Federation).

During that weekend which I discussed this with MO, while we talked about
other subjects, with other people also, a few times we encountered the
number 3 in the klingon culture.  He would look at me and say "There's that
number three again".  I don't remember what those different topics were;
they were just during conversation.  But we found it interesting.

toH... jabbI'IDghomvammo' DaH tlhIngan Hol vIlo'.
ben law' [wej] qelbogh mI' pat lulo' no'ma'.
[wa'] [cha'] [wej] je neH lo' mI' patvam.
[vay' tu'be'lu'] rur [pagh].
[pagh] ngaSbe' mI' Daq.
vay' ngaSnIS mI' Daq.

cham novmo' wa'maH mI' pat lulo'choH tlhInganpu'.
cham nov luyaj luneH.

DloraH

Back to archive top level