tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 02 21:03:39 1998

KLBC - jIlugh'eghmoH 'ej mu'tlheghmey chu' vIqonqa'

KLBC - jIlugh'eghmoH 'ej mu'tlheghmey chu' vIqonqa'

ja' pagh:
> I actually meant "stop understating your abilities". When speaking
> Klingon, speak boldly! In Klingon culture, excessive modesty is just
as
> inappropriate as excessive arrogance. Your skills are coming along
> nicely, and you shouldn't minimize them.

nI'qu'meH tera'Daq jIyIntaHmo' jItunchoHtaH; reghuluS 'Iwghargh vIrur
jay'.
"I have been living on Earth so long, I am becoming as soft as a
freakin' Regulan bloodworm."

> reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS. jIghItlhtaHvIS, jIjeHlaw'
jIH'e'.
TRANS: The fire on someone else's face is always hottest of all.  *I*
was apparently absentminded while writing.

> > qarDaSngan Duy'a'vaD cha'nob lungeHDI' qeng je loH lulobHa'.
> > "When Torg and Kang sent ritual gifts to the Cardassian
> > ambassador they disobeyed the administration."

> Well, you left out poor Torg, but other than that, this is correct.
The

valqu'mo' torgh'e' mu'tlheghvetlh qoDDaq So'taHvIS leghlaH pagh.
"No one could see Torg hiding inside the sentence because he is so
clever."

> phrase <qarDaSngan Duy'a'> is a bit odd, though - "The Cardassian
> people's ambassador". I suspect the ambassador is representing the
> Cardassian government, or Cardassia as a whole, rather than the
people,
> so <qarDaS Duy'a'> would probably be better here.

The ambassador IS a Cardassian, by race.  That's what I was thinking
when I wrote /qarDaSngan Duy'a'/ instead of /qarDaS Duy'a'/.  Maybe he's
representing the Dominion!

> > van'a'Daj parHa''a' SoSlI'?
> > "Does your mother like her award?"

> HIja'. raSDaj DungDaq HuSmoHpu'. (lughba' mu'tlheghlIj).
TRANS: Yes.  She has hung it above her table.
jIHagh!

> > ghoSolQo'!
> > "Don't quarrel with us!"

> <Sol> is defined as "quarrel", not "quarrel with", so this doesn't
quite
> work. If Kang and Torg were quarreling, for example, you would need to

> say <Sol qeng torgh je>. See if you can find another phrase to express

> your meaning.

jISol vIneHbe'.

> > > 'ach SaSbej qabqoqlIj...
> > TRANS: but your so-called face is certainly horizontal...
> >
> > 'ach chongba' botlh nItlhwIj...  qablIj HI'ang!

> jIjangQo' jay'!

"jIjangbe' jay'!"  I won't freakin' answer!
"yIjangQo' jay'!"  Don't friggin' answer!

> > qoDDaq qamer'a'?
> > "Did I surprise you inside?"

> This doesn't make much sense to me. Inside what?

I was trying to be funny.  Kodak camera.  :-)

> > naHlet vISuqmeH Sormey vItlhIl.
> > "I mine trees in order to obtain nuts."

> I don't know if <tlhIl> can be used like this, but other than that,
this
> is good.

My random sentence challenger threw me a nasty word pair.  How am I
going to use /tlhIl/ and /naHlet/ in the same sentence?

- tuv'el

Back to archive top level