tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 01 23:55:52 1998

RE: KLBC - loD'a' vIlIgh

I'm not sure about <loD'a'> for Superman, which really is a proper name in
English, but  for this message I'll let it go.

lab Datlh HoD:

>I caught one of my own mistakes! It should have gone like this:
>tlhIngan jIH 'ach loD'a' vIlIgh.

This is fine. I'm not sure what logical relation <tlhIngan jIH> has to
<loD'a' vIlIgh>, and why you used <'ach>

>vIlIghQo'chugh loD'a' maw' SoH.

A little prefix trouble and a little sentence order trouble. The first bit
should be <loD'a' bolIghQo'chugh> - "If you (plural) refuse to ride Superman
...". Since you are addressing the whole list with this message, the plural
is appropriate. Your use of <-Qo'> instead of <-be'> is nice here - it gives
some extra meaning the English doesn't have.

The second part of the sentence should be <Sumaw' tlhIH>, or even better
just <Sumaw'>. Remember that pronouns are not necessary - the information
they provide is available in the verb prefix.

Finally, I don't really know if the Klingon word <maw'> can be used as
freely as the English "crazy", or if it is reserved for significant mental
illness. I don't have any evidence one way or the other (Voragh ?), just a
feeling. Something to think about.

>mulIjbe'.

Small vocab error - <lIj> is "forget"; <ghIj> is "scare". You want
<mughIjbe'>.

>Trans:
>I am Klingon, but I rode Superman. You are crazy if you don't go on
>Superman. It did not scare me.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level