tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 29 08:53:44 1998

Re: KLBC: Sormey Hol

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 19:29:48 -0800 (PST) Pam Felton
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Andeen, Eric wrote:
>
> > > reH bommey bombogh ghotpu' tu'lu'.
> >
> > This is fine, but it seems like you are a little hung up on what you want
> > the English to be. Here's my suggestion for an alternative: <bomtaHwI'pu'
> > tu'lu'>.

Daj. When I saw the original, I thought of it as "There are
always people who sing songs," or "There are always songs which
are sung by people." Your suggestion makes me think, "There are
people who continuously sing." It is an interesting recasting
which is grammatically acceptable, but perhaps inaccurate in
meaning. I think of the SAME people always singing, instead of
the sense that there is always SOMEBODY, not necessarily the
same people, singing songs. For that, I'd say:

reH bommey lubomlu'.

"Songs are always sung," or "Someone always sings songs." It is
not necessarily continuous, in that different people sing
different songs, but always someone is singing SOMETHING.

> I don't know if I understand this.  Is bomtaHwI'pu' like a noun and verb in the
> same word?

Others have addressed this well.

> K'ryntes

charghwI' 'utlh