tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 24 15:16:09 1998

Qov's first ever posting [Was: Re: drillmusciangroup]

--Pam Felton <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Thank you. You have no idea how intimidating it is to have
> > teenagers pop up and say, "Hi. I got TKD last week and I've been
> > lurking on this list for the past two hours. Here's my
> > translation of Moby Dick." And it turns out to be a GOOD
> > translation.

nuqaDbej.  pawbe'chugh po'wI' chu' vaj maleS 'ej nuyonchoHmoH
laHmeyqoqmaj.  Qo'noSDaq majatlhchugh <tlhIngan Hol wIjatlh>,
maDo'chugh Hagh tlhIngan.  ghaytan nuHoH neH.

> LOL!  Not to long ago I thought to myself, "Everyone starts at the
beginning, even Qov, so
> I'm gonna go into the archives, find her first post, and compare it
to mine.  I bet they
> look nearly the same."  *blaaahhhhhhhhh*  I still can't match her
first post.

If you saw my first post on this list (as wovwI') you know my story.
In a way I think having no contact with other speakers is a bit of an
advantage: they never discourage you and you have no example of "this
person is a good speaker" or "it takes ten years to get to this point"
to limit you.  I honestly believed that there were people out there
who had completely absorbed TKD and spoke the language fluently.  I
just wanted to join them.  I have a printout here of what may be my
*real* first 'post' on 25 February, 1988. I sent e-mail including the
following KLBC-like sentences [with my comments on them today].

ngeDHey tlhIngan Hol 'e' vIQub
[I notice in a similar letter a month later I had figured out my error
and wrote /Qatlhqu'be'/ instead of /ngeDHey/.]

poH 'ar tlhIngan Hol DaHaDlaH?
[I must have meant /ta'/ or /-taH/ not /laH/.]

'oH vIghojtaH wa' tera' jar.
[Obviously I hadn't discovered /qaStaHvIS/.  I didn't pay enough
attention to the appendix in TKD in my first attempt at the language.
I was thinking to myself that I wanted to be able to form the
sentences for myself, not have them fed to me.  I didn't realize what
a wealth of useful idiom there is in those few pages.]

yuQvam vIparHa'bej jIH.
[I was writing in an alien persona.  Romulan, I believe.]

naDev jIQuch.
[DaHjaj jIQuchtaH. :)]

bIyaj'a'?
[tuyaj'a'?]

DaghItlhbogh vIyajchugh jIQuch.
[My first headless relative. Wouldn't Krankor be proud? :)]
----
>From the looks of this and other printouts, I was sending mail to
anyone who used anything resembling tlhIngan Hol in any Star Trek
newsgroup.

I see one that is headed "tlhIngan Holna' Dajatlhchugh HIghItlhneS"
with "If you do not understand Klingon, this is not important to you,"
written underneath as if it were a translation.  Looks like I don't
change much. :)

I also have some of the first Klingon I ever wrote down, before that
post.  Beginners everywhere will smile (and BGs wince) to know that it
was an attempt at Shakepeare translation, complete with a back
translation so you can see how I believed what I was writing meant
what I wanted it to.  Something about Klingon just CALLS for beginners
to try to translate.  pagh, would I be setting too bad an example if I
posted it?

> Much less ask
> if I need to spit more when I talk.  :)

Yes.  If you were spitting enough you would wonder if you should spit
less. :)

I remember the first time I spoke Klingon while eating, making the
stunned realization that while in English it's enough not to talk with
your *mouth* full, in Klingon the food has to be all the way clear of
the oesophagus if you want to be certain it's not going to shoot
across the table when you talk.

==
Qov - pab 'utlh