tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 24 13:30:53 1998

Re: drillmusciangroup

ja' K'ryntes:
>You know that thread where the writer said, "If we can mash two nouns
>together,
>why not three?"  Or something to that effect.  Well, I just started  to
>read my
>TKD another time this morning and on page 19 it says a compound noun can
>consist
>of two or three nouns.  So apparently it is okay to do that with Klingon,
>right?

lughlaw'qu'.  lughbejbe'.

Klingon has compound nouns consisting of two or three nouns in a row.  We
find them in the dictionary; they are "official" words.  However, we don't
quite have a good procedure for making them ourselves.  The closest we get
is in section 3.4 "The noun-noun construction" where we are told:

    ...it is possible to combine nouns in the manner of a compound
    noun to produce a new construct even if it is not a legitimate
    compound noun ("legitimate" in the sense that it would be found
    in a dictionary).

The rules for interpreting such a compound say that N1-N2 means "N1's N2"
or equivalently "N2 of the N1", calling this usage the Klingon possessive
construction.  Those rules are a little more restrictive than some of the
examples call for; most of us either expand the definition of the word
"possessive" a bit or choose the linguistic term "genitive" instead.  The
passage in TKD does not say anything about forming a compound itself; it
speaks of combining nouns *in the manner of* a compound.

While we definitely *see* compound nouns made up of more than two nouns,
we don't have a clear indication that we can *make* them.  Even when we
do make them, we don't have a clear way to interpret them except as a
noun-noun "possessive" construction.  But that's not always how compound
nouns should be interpreted -- for example, {puqbe'} isn't intended to be
"child's female".

Unless you're absolutely certain of your context, or you plan to explain
your newly coined term completely, it's usually a good idea to avoid the
lack of clarity that a compound noun brings with it.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level