tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 23 13:58:10 1998

Re: RE: KLBC Tribbleball

The noun-noun "possessive" construction works for more than just
possession. It also works for other kinds of association. When I
say {tlhIngan Hol} I don't mean that a Klingon literally owns
the language. It is the language of a Klingon. It is associated
with Klingons.

{betleH bey} is not a display owned by weapons. It is a {betleH}
display; a display of {betleHmey}.

charghwI' 'utlh

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 11:10:11 -0700 (PDT) TPO
<[email protected]> wrote:

> >> yIHghanjaq le' lo' maH.
> >> We use special Tribbleclubs.
> >
> >If you are in Marketing, and you have a new product you want to call the
> >TribbleClub(TM), this is fine. Otherwise, I think just two nouns right next
> >to each other is better.
> >
> >I understood the smushed toghether noun, but I don't think it made your
> >sentence any clearer, so there's no reason not to just leave it as two
> >nouns.
>
> I like the yIHghanjaq.
> With two words I read it as the tribble's club.
>     we use special clubs that belong to a tribble.
> or  we use the tribble's special clubs.
>
> This talk about compound nouns... sure it doesn't happen every day, but it
> can happen.  A couple of you will probably jump on me for saying this.  You
> say we don't know what's proper for klingon.  Well heck, "TribbleClub"
> isn't proper english either; but if you saw one in the store you wouldn't
> write to the company and tell them to correct their grammar.
>
> Yes, this would also work with two words.  Two nouns doesn't have to mean
> one posesses the other.  With the conversation continuing there would be
> enough context to clearify that it is a club for hitting tribbles and not a
> club that belongs to a tribble.
>

> DloraH

Back to archive top level