tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 23 11:16:10 1998

RE: 'ach

lab K'ryntes:

> TKD p.55 'ach is sometimes shortened to 'a.
> Does it matter when?  Are they simply interchangeable?  I have to ask
> because when the dictionary says things are "possible" or "sometimes
> occur" I'm not sure if that's a green light or a red light.

They are completely interchangeable. In my experience, <'ach> is almost
universally used in written Klingon, but <'a> is used almost as much as
<'ach> in conversation. Note that this says nothing about how Klingons use
them, just about how we (humans who have never met a Klingon) use them.

Similar interchangeable pairs are <HISlaH> and <HIja'> for "yes", and <SaD>
and <SanID> for "thousand".

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level