tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 22 18:19:24 1998

RE: ghewmey ghung (hungry bugs)

lab K'ryntes:

> Sut vISay' vImuS.   (I hate to wash clothes.)

<Say'> is just "be clean"; "wash" would be <Say'moH>. You also need to use
the "Sentence as Object" grammar found in TKD 6.2.5

Sut vISay'moH 'e' vImuS.

> pa''a'Daq Sut Say'bogh janmey.
> (The washing machines are in a room/laundry mat.)

Again, you need to say <Say'moH> for "wash". I don't think you need to put
the <-'a'> on <pa'>.

This sentence is also missing a verb. If you want to say "The clothes
washing machines are in the room", you need to say:

pa'Daq bIH Sut Say'moHbogh janmey'e'.

> pa''a'Daq ghewmey lutulu'.  (There are bugs in the room.)

maj. Same comment about <pa'>, though.

> mujatlh gheymey.  (The bugs talk to me.)
> ja' yIghoS!  (They say, "Get out!)

maj.

> jIghoSchugh pa'Daqbogh tera'nganpu' qan Sop ghewmey.
> (If I go the bugs will eat the elderly terrans who
> are in the room.)

Yikes! You can't put a type 5 noun suffix AND a type 9 verb suffix on a
noun. You can talk about the terrans who remain in the room, though:

jImejchugh, pa'Daq ratlhbogh tera'nganpu' qan'e' Sopbej ghewmey.

I made a couple of other changes as well. I substituted <mej> for <ghoS> to
match your idea a little more clearly. I added <-'e'> to the phrase
<tera'nganpu' qan> to mark it more explicitly as the head of the <-bogh>
clause. I also added the suffix <-bej> to <Sop> since I think that is the
idea you had in mind. You could also consider using <-ba'> or putting
<ghaytan> in front of the whole main clause, depending on what you mean.

> tera'nganpu' qan vIQan jIratlh.  (I remain to protect them.)

You really need a <-meH> on <vIQan>. That's what it's there for. Reread TKD
6.2.4 for more about purpose clauses.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level