tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 21 11:02:52 1998

Re: 50 most useful words.

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:10:31 -0700 (PDT) qurgh
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm trying to compile a list of 50 of the most useful Klingon words. This
> is to give to some friends so they, and myself, with have a good base
> vocab, just to start off with.
>
> jIHvaD mu'meylIj tInob
>
> Qapla'
>
> qurgh HoD
> http://klingon.lib.indiana.edu/~qurgh
> Member KLI, KLC, BKK, KAG, KWS, SSC, SFC

Consider placing a higher priority on words that have multiple
uses depending on how they are used grammatically, like:
neH
reH
ram
potlh

Follow with basic life support functions:

Sop
Soj
Qong
Suv
jun
tlhuH
tlhutlh

Then socially useful words:
qIH
ghom
qep
jatlh
ja'
tlhob
ghel
jang

And words that fill gaps in the differences between Klingon and
English grammar:
ghu'
wanI'
qaS

Timestamps:
wa'Hu', cha'Hu'...
wa'leS, cha'leS...
DaH, DaHjaj...

Numbers:
wa', cha'

Then focus on affixes and word order for simple sentences. Then
toss in some adverbials. Then specialize depending upon what
areas of vocabulary you find this leaves unaddressed during your
conversations.

The main point most people miss when they try to make up lists
like this is that most people learn words because they need
them. If you let the thoughts you want to express and the
expressions you want to understand drive your vocabulary
selection, you will probably learn vocabulary faster than if you
try to build "the right" vocabulary list first and then try to
use those words.

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level