tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 18 20:24:02 1998

Re: Eye On The Ball

lab Kreth:

>> The other problem is a line in TKD stating that a type 7 suffix cannot
>> be used on the same verb with <-jaj>. Okrand himself has violated this
>> rule at least once (with <tlhIngan wo' DevtaHjaj ghawran>, I believe),
>> but it is still a rule we must follow. In any case, the <-taH> is not
>> really necessary here, although it would enhance the meaning if it
>> were allowed.

> My main inspiration for using /-taH/ and /-jaj/ together was the recent
> From the Grammarianian Desk (HolQeD vol 7, Num 2), dealing with the
> issue of fully suffixed verbs.

I nearly mentioned that column, but decided not to. As BG, I have to be more
conservative than Krankor. It's certainly a minor error at worst.

One other comment that I did not make in my last message is about the use of
<-jaj>. <-jaj> is used to express a wish or desire. If you are a not very
active participant in the list generally wishing to express the idea that we
should stay focused, this is fine. If you wanted to actively suggest to
everyone the we stay focused, <ngoQmaj yIbuS> would be better. The
imperative is used a lot more freely in Klingon, and is not considered rude
as it often is in English.

>> Despite some minor problems, this was an excellent recasting.
>>
> Thanks, hopefully my tlhIngan Hol has improved some since Qov
> shredded some of my posts a few months ago. <g> Taught me
> quite a bit...

laHlIj DaDubbej.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian