tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 17 12:45:00 1998

Eye On The Ball

Holtej just wrote the sentence:

>Please folks, let's keep our eye on the ball.

For some reason this makes me think about how beginners translate word for
word and ask "How do I say 'helicopter' in Klingon" and so on. Leaving off
the polite "Please, folks" the remainder of the sentence can be easily
translated as:

moQDaq mInmaj wIpoljaj

(literally, "May we keep our eye on the sphere!"). Is it unclear to any
beginners that this would not be understood by a Klingon? First, the plural
would be understood, since 'we' cannot have one 'eye' unless we were in a
truly glorious battle... but our 'eye' must be removed and kept on a ball?

Let's remember, word-for-word translating is not the goal. Concept
translating is. This humorous example illustrates one of uncountable
examples of English usage where the words don't say it all - the thought
behind them is so important.

Any beginners want to try to express the true meaning of "may we keep our
eye on the ball" in Klingon?

Qermaq

Back to archive top level