tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 15 11:18:53 1998

another try at net (was: Re: relative clause attempt)

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998 09:08:41 -0700 (PDT) K'ryntes
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I gave up too soon.  Here's another "net" attempt...
>
> pIj Suv puqpu' net tu'.

majQa'! This works. "One finds that children often fight."

> toH!  tlhIngan jIH'e'!

Well, this almost works. Pronouns can be used as nouns or verbs,
but not both at the same time. In {tlhIngan jIH,} clearly {jIH}
is a verb. If not, what is? You can also say, {tlhIngan jIHtaH.}
In other words, you can add a verb suffix to a pronoun while you
use it as a verb.

You can also add a noun suffix to a pronoun while you use it as
a noun:

jIH'e' HoS law' SoH HoS puS.

You've used the pronoun {jIH} as a verb and then put a noun
suffix on it. That doesn't work. It's tempting to do, and I can
tell what you meant to say, but it doesn't work.

> K'ryntes

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level