tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 12 19:59:39 1998

Re: KLBC

ja' charghwI':
>> Thomas 'oH pongwIj'e'.
>> My name is Thomas.
>
>This is fine. Some of us tend to use asterisks to mark things we
>don't want someone foolishly trying to look up, though in this
>case it is obvious enough that should not be a problem. You
>might have seen this written as:
>
>*Thomas* 'oH pongwIj'e'.

"Some of us" :-) also have a teensy bit of a problem with {'oH} being
used this way.  Even though "Alan" is my name, I don't think it can be
turned around to say my name is an "Alan", which is how I interpret the
{"Alan" 'oH pongwIj'e'} phrasing.  I much prefer it in the other order:
{pongwIj 'oH "Alan"-'e'}

>> jIghIQpa', Do'Ha' jabbI'IDghomvam vImejnISpu'.
>> Unfortunately I needed to leave this newsgroup before I took a vacation.
>
>There's a little controversy as to whether {mej} can take an
>object. The definition gloss "leave, depart" doesn't really
>sound like it can, and there are no examples of Okrand using it
>with an object. I know he used it in TKW on page 79, but I can't
>look that up right now, and I do know that I noted it as an
>intransitive useage.

bImejDI' reH betleHlIj yItlhap -- never leave without your bat'telh.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level