tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 12 09:53:20 1998

No Subject

charghwI' wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Oct 1998 05:38:01 -0700 (PDT) Thomas Staller
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > wej thlIngan Hol vIjatlhlaHchu'be'. 'ach jIQap 'e' vInID.
> > I don't speak Klingon well yet, but I attempt to succeed.
>
> The period in the middle was not necessary, but this is fine.
> Your translation missed only slightly, since the English says,
> "I don't speak Klingon well yet," while the Klingon says, "I
> can't speak Klingon clearly yet." Meanwhile, I can cut you that
> much slack. The meaning is basically the same.

charghwI' missed a double negative here.  /wej vIjatlhbe'/ is "I don't not
speak it yet." The English negative is included in /wej/ so /-be'/ is
contradictory.

/wej vIjatlh/ - "I don't speak it yet."

Qov     [email protected]
Now on ICQ: 12235599