tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 06 19:22:18 1998

Re: Klingon as bermensch KLBC

tIm jang pagh:
>> Nietzsche said, "That which does not kill me, makes me stronger."
>>
>> vIHoHlu'pu'be' vaj muHoSqu'moH
>>
>> I think that captures the idea. Am I right?
>
>Close.
>
>There is no need for the perfective aspect <-pu'>. It really doesn't fit
>here.

*I* don't have a problem with {-pu'} here.  "It hasn't killed me, thus it
makes me *strong*."  It's not exactly the same idea as the original, but
I see nothing wrong with it.

>I don't think the indefinite subject (-lu'> fits here. The *something* which
>does not kill you is too important to be left out.

And if it's indefinite in the first part, what exactly is the subject of
the second part?  It should probably stay either explicit or indefinite
through the entire thing.

> Fortunately, we have the
>word <vay'>, which is exactly what you want for your subject.
>
>You should probably add a <-chugh> for this to flow naturally.
>
>muHoHbe'chugh vay' vaj muHoSmoH.

The grammar of the English can be transferred rather directly to the
Klingon phrase, if you want:  {muHoSqu'moH muHoHbe'bogh vay'.}

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level