tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 03 23:22:51 1998

Re: KLBG

lab qI'ta', qulvIghro':

> I'm fairly new to <tlhIngan Hol>, only up to Lesson 2
> in the snail-mail course,
> But: Do' jIghajtaH

I think you mean <jIghojtaH>.

> I have a few gramatical questions for, I assume, pagh.
> I'd like to know how I've done on the following sentences.

> bI'IH. qaparHa'. You're beautiful. I like you.

maj.

> chobochmoH. You flatter me.
> I extrapolated from <bochmoHwI'> flatterer.

Daj. This would seem to be logical, but extrapolating from a slang term is
always uncertain, even if just a little bit. I'll look into this one a bit
more on Monday at work (where I keep my reference materials).

The grammar here is fine, though.

>>  ghItlh pagh
>> "bIghoj 'e' yImevQo' " "Don't stop learning."
> I think...? pagh, I would appreciate it if you could
> please explain this one to me.

This is the sentence as object construction described in TKD 6.2.5.
Literally, it is "You learn. Don't stop that."

> jIjatlhbe' I can't speak. ( or -- I'm speachless.)

If you are just plain not speaking, this is fine. If you are *unable* to
speak, you should say <jIjatlhlaHbe'>.

> Human jIHmo' banglI' jIH. Because I'm human, I'm your love.
> Or is it: I'm your love because I'm human. (I'm unsure of
> the ordering here.)

maj. It can be ordered either way in the English and mean the same thing. In
the Klingon, some believe a <-mo'> clause can go after the main clause; some
don't. It's almost always better style to put it before anyway.

> I thought a better way to express this sentiment might be:
> Human neH jIHmo' choghajtaH. Because I'm only human, you are
> possessing me. (Still unsure of the ordering.)

I'm not sure how well <ghaj> works here. I'm not sure a Klingon would even
think of applying <ghaj> to another person. It may be fine, but it may also
get you a strange look. The grammar is fine again. Try a few more ways of
expressing this idea. It's a good way to expand you vocabular and stretch
your mind a bit.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level