tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 30 19:06:13 1998

Re: The Captain's Table: Dujonian's Hoard

On Sat, 30 May 1998, Joel Peter Anderson wrote:

>It may be of note that Klingon is used, and used correctly in Michael Jan
>Friedman's entry in the Captain's Table series of Trek books.  Picard is
>called on to identify a device in a Romulan ship (Picard is the narrator):
>    I nodded.  "Those characters form a Klingon phrase: Wa' DevwI' tu'lu.
>    Translation:  There is one leader."  			(P.147)
>I'll note that, yes the book has the capital "W" and missing final "'".

This was taken from TKW p.66:  wa' Qu'vaD wa' DevwI' tu'lu'.

I'll give Friedman the benefit of the doubt - he's written several Klingon
related books - and assume that the W was "corrected" by the copy editor at
Simon & Schuster/Pocket Books working on his manuscript.  I've noticed that
all the Trek novels containing Klingon capitalize the first word of a
sentence, as well as proper names (personal, geographic, ship's names,
etc.).  This may even be house practice at S&S;  beginning a sentence or a
quotation (as is the case here) with a lower case letter just looks wrong
to the the editors, the orthography of tlhIngan Hol be damned. Except for
q/Q, this isn't really a problem.

Ironically, the worst Hol I've seen in a book was _Star Trek: Klingon!_ -
the novelization of the CD that taught people the Klingon language!

 Voragh
 Steven Boozer    University of Chicago Library    [email protected]

Back to archive top level