tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 29 22:49:40 1998

Sign Language

David Trimboli:
>You've never heard of sign language?  :)

William H. Martin:
>I've heard of it, but we don't have any references to it in
>canon. So far as we know from canon, sign langauge may not be
>considered use of language any more than crows cawing to each
>other from branches in trees (which I certainly suspect is a
>valid use of language, but I do not suspect Klingons would
>think so).

In the ST:TNG episode "Loud as a Whisper", the deaf-mute mediator Riva
resorted to a form of sign language when his "chorus" of mind-reading
assistants was killed.  Worf seemed to think a silent communication method
was a tremendous innovation.  Of course, he wasn't raised among Klingons,
so this might reflect the attitudes on Galt rather than on Qo'noS...

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level