tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 29 22:49:06 1998

Re: Israel's 50th Birthdate

mujang peHruS:
><< "My romantic partner, while our romance is living thus because of your
> life and because of my life, romance which fires a message at me,
> romance which separates that it has cut my heart and I have completely
> begun to serve the romance which has stabbed my ear(s)." >>
>
>bImughchu', ghunchu'wI'.  Doj.

If my words above are a perfect translation of the song, it is an accident.
I can't find a grammatical way to parse what I wrote.

>naDev bom English vI'ang:
>
>By the life of our troth, my love, by thy live and my life
>Of love which hath shot an arrow at me,
>Verily have I become a slave to Love, that hath pierced
>Mine ear, that hath cloven my heart in twain.

Your Klingon seems to have some of the many subordinate clauses misplaced,
and it looks like the phrase "my life of love..." being split across two
lines confused you as well.

>bomvam qonpu' Jehudah Halevi, DIS 1086 ToledoDaq bogh.

I wonder how a Klingon schoolteacher would translate "run-on sentence". :-)

>DIS 1924 Hebrew Holvo' English HolvaD mughta' Nina Salaman.

Ugh -- I don't think a language is something that the suffix {-vo'} fits on.
{-vo'}, like {-Daq}, seems to me to be applicable only to physical locations.
And your use of {-ta'} trips my "tense-vs-aspect" detector...

>Jehudah Halevi bommey boSpu' Israel Zangwill.

>Do note that {QIn} does not mean "message"; it is "spearhead, point, [arrow]
>head".

What source gives the "point" and "[arrow] head" meanings?  All I can find is
the simple KGT meaning of "spearhead".  In fact, KGT strongly implies that a
{QIn} *has* a point, rather than *being* one.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level