tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 25 21:32:53 1998

Re: Quj bej Holtej qorDu'

<< From: William H. Martin <[email protected]>
 >"Be near" does seem ripe for an
 >object, though it is one of those verbs beginning with "be". It
 >is an interesting verb, since it both strongly suggests an
 >object, as you have used it, {Duj vISum} and it suggests that
 >it could be used adjectivally {Duj Sum yIghoS!}.

 Okrand himself has held off on answering that question.  The main reason I
 assume it is intransitive is because {Hop}, described simply as "far" (on
 Conversational Klingon) would have to be "far from" to be transitive, and
 {Sum}/{Hop} certainly does seem to be a corresponding pair.  Annoyingly,
 {Hop} does not appear in Klingon for the Galactic Traveler.

 I certainly don't like {Duj vIHop} as "I am far from the ship," but I see
 this as necessary if you're going to say {Duj vISum}.  {Hop Duj} and {Sum
 Duj} work fairly well, when used correctly.

 SuStel
 Stardate 98387.0 >>

"pay attention [to]" 'oS mu' {qIm} 'e' vIHar 'ach TKDDaq "[to]" ghItlhlu'be'
vIlo'DI' QInvam vIqawchu'

peHruS

Back to archive top level