tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 21 07:22:21 1998

Re: Klingon on Voyager Finale

According to Jimmyr17:

> > Arturis said something to Torres on Voyager tonight.  Anyone know what it
> > means?  The closed captioning caught this "ku cha mee-roch"  to which Torre
> > said thank you.
> >
> > tu'wI'

ja' charghwI':
> If you ever expect Voyager to show anyone actually speaking
> Klingon instead of just making up syllables, you must be new
> here. Paramount usually consults Okrand for their movies. Their
> TV production, however, consistently omits any effort to make
> their random sounds resemble language.

this being said, I think it sounds close enough to {Quch'a' bIghaj}
that this might have been intended (someone may have read that some
Klingons pronounce {b} as "m") and this is certainly something a
"real" Klingon (i.e. one proud of her/his heritage) might reply to
with "thank you", although I don't know how Belanna feels...
(last time I watched the show, she wasn't very happy with her
Klingon part)

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]