tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 21 06:54:07 1998

RE: Upcoming Article

Lawrencevo':

> As many of you know, I do a lot of interviews with the media. Most of them
> ask the same sort of unoriginal questions that you've seen over and over.
> Recently, a reporter asked some fresher ones, and I have allowed myself
> some optimism about the article. I hope it bears fruit.
>
> Look for the story by reporter Lee Lawrence in the May 20th issue of the
> Christian Science Monitor. In addition to the physical paper, it should
> also appear that day on their website at http://www.csmonitor.com.

The story has appeared:

http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/1998/05/19/fp58s1-csm.htm

Before you go there, though, I must issue an apology for a mistake printed
in the article.  Ms. Lawrence was asking me about what makes Klingon
"alien," and I brought up the example of color terms.  As discussed in Nick
Nicholas' article in HolQeD 5:2 "Klingon Colours" (see
/cgi-bin/mfs/1997/Mar97/0167.html?40 for SuStel's
summary), Klingon is strange in its grouping of "yellow" with "green/blue."
Unfortunately, while I was on the phone with Ms. Lawrence, I couldn't
remember which grouping was weird, and I told her so.  But she went ahead
and printed it, and has me quoted as saying that Klingon groups "yellow"
with "orange," which is a) wrong and b) not what I said.

wejpuH.

At any rate, the article is out, and in spite of this error, it's written
very objectively, and is worth a read.  DaH yIlaD!

> Lawrence

--Holtej

Back to archive top level