tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 19 12:09:03 1998

RE: Quj bej Holtej qorDu'

> > of any other verb that does this, except perhaps for the {lo'}
> > and {lo'laH} split, which is resolved by calling {lo'laH} a
> > separate, independant verb.
>
> which reminds me of another question I had: doesn't this make
> {lo'laHghach} a verb+{-ghach} without any intervening suffix?
> wouldn't it be better to say there are two verbs {lo'}, one
> meaning "uses" and the other meaning "is used"? then {lo'laH}
> can be analysed as "can be used" = "is useful" = "is valuable"

Well, /lo'laHghach/ has two interpretations.

1. V + laH + ghach	"ability to use"
2. V + ghach (marked)	"valuation" (?)

"Is used" isn't stative, it's passive.  (Unless it means "previously owned",
which is a different story).  "X can be used" would be /X lo'laH vay'/
(since we can't use /-lu'/.)

>                                            Marc Ruehlaender

--Holtej

Back to archive top level