tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 13 12:25:31 1998

Re: KLBC parmaqay

> parmaqaylI' vImoj 'e' DawIvmo' choquvmoH.
>
> pagh

: All this is good. I suggest that {wuq} might be preferable to
: {wIv}, if you consider that {wIv} likely refers more to
: choosing among options, while {wuq} likely refers to deciding
: yes or no for a given option.

wIv  "choose, select" (v)

  bISuv 'e' yIwIv; bISutlh 'e' yIwIvQo'
  Choose to fight, not negotiate. TKW

  nuHlIj DawIvpu', vaj yISuv
  You have chosen your weapon, so fight! TKW

  qawIv
  I choose you. MSN (Klingon Lesson)

wIv  "choice" (n)

  [No examples in canon]

wuq "decide, decide upon" (v) [TKD Ad.]:

  to'waQ yIyIvQo'; DaH yIwuq!
  Don't chew ligament; decide now! KGT

  ngoch luchermeH 'ej wo' San luwuqmeH pa' ghom tlhIngan yejquv DevwI'pu'
  where the leaders of the Klingon High Council meet to determine policy
   and decide upon the fate of the Empire. S25

  yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh janluq pIqarD HoD
  Gowron... named leader of the High Council by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, who was
   acting as Arbiter of Succession. S25

:                                     In other words:
:    parmaqaylI' vImoj 'e' Dawuqmo' choquvmoH.
:    parmaqaywI', chowIvmo' choquvmoH.
:    parmaqay maHmo', jIquv.
: I like it when casting iterations compress like that...
:
: charghwI'

BTW, par'Machkai (spelled thus in the Closed Caption) is {parmaqqay} in
Okrand's transcription, with two {q}'s -- {parmaq} "par'Mach" + {qay} "kai"
(??):

parmaqqay  "romantic companion, romantic partner" (n) KGT

"A similar pattern is observed for {parmaqqay}, which means `someone
involved in a romantic relationship with a specific other person' (romantic
partner, perhaps). The word {parmaqqay} is formed from {parmaq},
conventionally translated love or romance (though the Klingon concept is far
more aggressive than the Federation Standard translations imply), plus
{qay}, an otherwise unknown element. One may refer to one's romantic partner
as {parmaqqaywI'} (my {parmaqqay}), but one rarely uses the word in direct
address (as in, say, {parmaqqay HIghoS} [{parmaqqay}, come here]). Instead,
couples (officially married and otherwise) tend to call each other by pet
names (sometimes called endearments or hypocorisms or, in Klingon, {bang
pongmey} [beloveds' names'])." (KGT p.199)

"Jadzia is not the {parmaqqay} that Worf expects." (KGT p.200 ill. caption)

Voragh

Back to archive top level