tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 12 17:06:18 1998

Re: -ghach (oh no)

From: Steven Boozer <[email protected]>

>: You missed:

[examples from HolQeD 3:3]

>Good point, though these were nonce examples and haven't been used
elsewhere
>or in context in the published books or tapes.

Neither has {lo'laHghach} and {lo'laHbe'ghach}, to my knowledge, yet you
listed them anyway.  In any case, I'm not sure what benefit context would
give to these words.

>:    belghach        "pleasureness" (marked term)
>:    nobghach        "givation, one-time donation" (marked term)
>:    quvghach        "honoredness" (marked term)
>
>These "marked terms" without intervening verb suffixes are NOT kosher, any
>more than their marked English "translations".  They are merely examples
>Okrand gives of queer-sounding forms that, though morphologically illegal,
>are still more or less understandable by Klingons, at least those with the
>patience to listen to an alien speaking bad Hol.

Not kosher?  Meaning what, exactly?  As far as I can tell, they are
perfectly valid, marked words.  Not perfectly valid normal words.  They are
no less examples of {-ghach}'d words than {belpu'ghach} or {nobta'ghach}.
It is simply important to note that they are not *normal* words, and using
them would make your sentence stick out like a sore thumb.  As Okrand has
told us, it's not *wrong*, but it's weird.  Thus, I feel that these words
deserve to be listed among the examples of {-ghach} words which we have.  As
Okrand said, they would have to be appropriate for the occasion, and would
be one-time words, but they're still words for all of that.

Okrand talks about what happens if you add {-ghach} to a verb without
suffixes.  He doesn't talk about this to rule out the possibility, he talks
about it to explain what it would mean.

SuStel
Stardate 98362.7

Back to archive top level