tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 12 08:26:22 1998

Re: KLBC parmaqay

At 00:50 98-05-12 -0700, lot'Har wrote:
} Sei gegruesst, Qov!
}
}>}How can I say:
}>}"You do honor to me by being my parmaqay"
}>
}>qamughpa' yImugh yInID.  chu'chu'wI' SoHbe'.
}>
}>Give it a try first, lot'Har.  I know you know enough Klingon to make an
}>attempt.
}Trapped...   ;-))
}
}batlh chonobbej parmaqaylI''e' choSuDta'mo'

"You do give me honour your very lover because you have gambled me."

You've used {-lI'} "your" instead of my and put the word "be
blue/green/yellow" or "gamble" into the sentence for no readily discernable
reason.  I suspect you may have been trying to extract the word "be" from
the definition of "be blue" in order to say "you are."  It definitely
doesn't work that way.

}Maybe I should devide it into two sentences?

It really needs to be two quite simple phrases.  "You are my lover" and "you
do honour to me" linked with a causitive.

For "you do honour to me", use {choquvmoH} "you make me be honoured" rather
than {batlh nob}.   You can't assume that honour can be "given" that way.

For "you are my lover" follow the form of {tlhIngan maH}.  Read over section
6.3 to see how to say something "is" something.

bang - lover
-wI' - my
SoH  - you

bangwI' SoH

Now link them by placing {-mo'} "because" on the verb (in this case the
pronoun-as-verb) of the clause that is the reason for the other one.

bangwI' SoHmo' choquvmoH

I think you used the {-'e'} suffix above in an attempt to copy another to-be
structure, but you could use it for meaning here:

bangwI''e' SoHmo' choquvmoH - "You honour me because you are my *lover*."

If that's what you meant.

Qov     [email protected]
Now on ICQ: 12235599

Back to archive top level