tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 12 07:21:08 1998

Re: betleH (KLBC but also a ? for everyone)

Nathan Grange asks:
:> betleHmey vaQ chenmoHbej DlorlaH.
:>
:> qoror
:
: DlorlaH makes agressive batleks ????
:
: is there anyone who can answer this question so that us novices can
: understand???

{vaQ} "be aggressive" referring to things is an idiomatic usage we learned
about in Klingon For the Galactic Traveler:

"A weapon that is particularly good, that is well designed and well
constructed, is normally described as {vaQ}. Thus, a {taj vaQ} is a
meticulously made knife and a {ghanjaq vaQ} is an especially nice mace. In
speaking about a fine weapon, one could compliment it even further by adding
the emphatic {-qu'} to {vaQ}. A really spectacular bat'leth would be a
{betleH vaQqu'}. The word {vaQ} is not often used in describing the newer
weapons (disruptors and the like), though such locutions are heard from time
to time. The original meaning of {vaQ} has been extended to mean `effective,
vigorous, aggressive' and is now heard applied not only to weapons but also
to people: {SuvwI' vaQ} (aggressive warrior)." (KGT p.67)]

As to whether qoror is right or not, I can't say as I've never seen DloraH's
work.

Voragh

Back to archive top level