tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 11 20:12:24 1998

Re: V6 suffixes

Matthew Peperell <[email protected]> writes:
>How are the ideas of
>'hopefully' some task will be completed

In English, the adverb "hopefully" used to mean only "in a hopeful manner".
Klingon doesn't have a simple way to turn verbs into adverbial words, but we
can get the idea across by using the Type 9 verb suffix {-vIS}:

  {tultaHvIS, lop nab}  "While he was hopeful, he planned a celebration."

See TKD section 4.2.9, and note that {-vIS} is always accompanied by the
Type 6 verb suffix {-taH}.

However, that's not what "hopefully" means in most cases today.  It somehow
has turned into another way of saying "I hope that [something happens]."  In
Klingon, this is a straighforward Sentence As Object, described in TKD 6.2.5.

  {choSuch 'e' vItul} "I hope that you will visit me."

Section 4.2.9 in the addendum describes another way to express a wish that
something will occur in the future: the suffix {-jaj}.  See TKD pp. 175-6.

  {choSuchjaj} "May you visit me."

Be careful with this suffix.  It is not a request for permission; it indicates
a desire for something to happen.  It's commonly used in toasts:

  {QuvlIjDaq yIH tu'lu'be'jaj} "May your coordinates be free of tribbles."

>'possibly' ......

The word "possibly" or "maybe" or "perhaps" is translated well by the Klingon
adverbial word {chaq}.  {chaq choSuch} "Maybe you will visit me."

>Am I correct in assuming they are type 6 suffixes?

As you see, you were not correct.  The Type 6 verb suffixes qualify the degree
of certainty the speaker has about the action.  They are listed in TKD section
4.2.6: {-chu'} "clearly, perfectly", {-bej} "certainly, undoubtedly", and
{-law'} "seemingly, apparently".  The addendum adds {-ba'} "obviously".

-- ghunchu'wI' (DaHjaj BG lIw)

Back to archive top level