tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 07 14:09:43 1998

tlhIngan maH (was KLBC)

According to Ron Van Gurp:

> Hi all!
>
> I am still having a pretty good time studying Klingon!...
> I am currently translating a part from "The Klingon
> Way" as an exercise.
>
> For those of you who don't have this book, this is what it says about the
> Klingon saying :
>
> "tlhIngan maH! (We are Klingons!)
>
> This is the strongest expression of joy among Klingons and probably the most
> frequently heard klingon phrase. It is used not only in the throes of battle
> but on any other joyous occassion as well. When Kahless the Unforgettable,
> who united the Klingon Empire, was cloned years later, the replica retained
> the ancient Klingon attitudes. He said to Gowron, the leader of the Klingon
> High Council, "You have no joy, Gowron. Is your heart so filled with
> distrust and suspicion that you have forgotten what it is to be truly Klingon?""

I'll leave it to Qov to address your translation. Meanwhile, I
absolutely LOVE recasting stuff and am sometimes snagged by
suggestions like this one. I offer my version, not as anything
necessarily superior, but as something likely to be worthy of
study to see another way to state certain meanings. I won't
include my own literal English translation, but I will take
this a line or two at a time so the study will be easier.

You will learn best from your own efforts. This is not intended
to usurp the original exercise. It is merely another aid in
your studies of the use of this language. My hope and intent is
that I can do this well enough that it may help.

> tlhIngan maH!

> This is the strongest expression of joy among Klingons and probably the most
> frequently heard klingon phrase.

tlhIngan maH

belchu'lu' 'e' lu'angmeH tlhInganpu', pov cha' mu'vam. ghaytan
jatlhDI' tlhIngan, cha mu'vam motlh law' Hoch motlh puS.

[Suddenly, I remember the Beatles tune about the mathematician
who pleased everyone so much: <<mI' chel. mabel.>>...]

> It is used not only in the throes of battle
> but on any other joyous occassion as well.

ghoblu'DI' cha' mu'vam lo'lu'ba' 'ach qaSDI' latlh wanI'mey
Quchqu', mu'meyvam lo'lu' je.

> When Kahless the Unforgettable,
> who united the Klingon Empire, was cloned years later, the replica retained
> the ancient Klingon attitudes.

Oooooooo. Qatlh.

tlhIngan wo' chenmoHmo' qeylIS'e' lIjlaHbe' vay'. Heghpu'qu'DI'
porghDaj chenqa'moHlu'DI', tlhIngan tIghmey tIQ qawchu'
qeylISqoqvam.

> He said to Gowron, the leader of the Klingon
> High Council, "You have no joy, Gowron.

yejquv Devbogh ghawran'e' jatlh qelISqoq <<vay' DatIvlaHbe',
ghawran...>>

> "Is your heart so filled with
> distrust and suspicion that you have forgotten what it is to
> be truly Klingon?"

Hoch DavoqHa''a'? SoHvaD nub'a' Hoch? tlhIngan qa'na'
DaghovlaH'a'? wa' Daghaj'a'?

> Qapla' !
>
> ghonvan HI'rIp

mu'meywIj vInuDqa'laHpa' jImejnIS.