tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 02 22:32:17 1998

Re: copulas (was Re: KLBC: ghojtaH nIDegh)

mujang Voragh:
>: I never think of the "to be" use of Klingon pronouns as a copula.
>: ..."X is Y" goes against the way I interpret pronouns as "to be".
>
>Think again.  Though there are indeed many "X is a Y" examples in canon:
>[...]
>and "X is in/at Y":
>[...]
>there are definitely several "X is (the) Y" examples as well:
>
>  nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
>  Where is the bathroom? TKD
>
>  nuqDaq 'oH jengva''e'
>  Where is the plate?  KGT
>
>  nuqDaq 'oH ngop'e'
>  Where are the plates? KGT

These are all examples of "in/at" usage.

>  qerq Duj 'oH
>  That's Kirk's ship! ST5

This works the same way as with a type 4 noun suffix on the object -- the
possessive structure makes a definite article unnecessary in the English.
I see the sentence acting not to equate "it" and the ship, but to categorize
it as one.

>  Qu' buSHa'chugh SuvwI', batlhHa' vangchugh, qoj matlhHa'chugh,
>   pagh ghaH SuvwI''e'
>  If a warrior ignores duty, acts dishonorably, or is disloyal,
>   he is nothing. TKW

"Nothing" in English is usually a collective noun and wouldn't get the word
"the" in front of it anyway, but "he is a nothing" or "he is a nobody" fits
my interpretation just fine.

>  bortaS nIvqu' 'oH bortaS'e'
>  Revenge is the best revenge. TKW
>
>  ya ghaH qImlaq Sogh'e'
>  Lieutenant K'mlak is the tactical officer.  KGT
>
>  yaS wa'DIch ghaH qImlaq la''e'
>  Commander K'mlak is first officer.  KGT

The translations here all say "X is (the) Y" but I don't see that there is
an equivalence implied.  "As for revenge, it is a *superior* revenge."  The
way I see it, the other two can be interpreted as saying K'mlak is a member
of the set of tactical/first officers.  The extracontextual knowledge that
there's only one of those officers on a ship is what makes "the" the right
way to say it in the translation.

>  veH Qav 'oH logh'e'
>  space--the final frontier.  (SkyBox DSN99)

I think this really means "As for space, it is a final boundary."  The only
reason it's translated "the final frontier" is because that's the Star Trek
catchphrase it is meant to parallel.

>  pa' 'oHtaH vaS'a''e'. tlhIngan qum waw' 'oH.
>  This is where the Klingon Great Hall is located, the center of the
>   Klingon government.  (SkyBox S27)

The first sentence is an "in/at" example.  The second one is a bit troubling
for me; I'm not really sure how {waw'} "base" should be taken.  In English,
"the center of the Klingon government" is quite obviously a unique thing;
{tlhIngan qum waw'} isn't as obviously unique, so it does seem to call for
an "identity" interpretation.

>  'entepray' 'oH DoS'e'
>  Enterprise targeted!
>  ("The target is Enterprise!" ST5

Ouch, this one would work *much* better in my mind if it were the other
way around.  I'm going to have to remember this sentence; it's the only
one that I can't easily rationalize as fitting my interpretation.  It's
also one that isn't written down anywhere, though... :-)

>And these are only {'oH} and {ghaH}.  Finding examples of other pronouns
>used as copulas is left as an exercise for the reader.

I didn't scour the text of TKD or KGT, but I did look through the "useful
phrases" of TKD and all the TKW sayings without finding any undeniable
copulas.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level