tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 31 07:43:53 1998

Re: KLBC: QIt tlhingan Hol vIghojS

Matt Peperell wrote:

: DaH Huch vIbajvad jjIvum *university*Daq Huch ghajbe'mo'. ngevwI' jIH.
: Now I am working for money because I will not have much at
: university.  I am a salesperson.

Qov has addressed the grammar, so I'll just contribute a vocabulary note:
Most people here on the List translate "university" as *{DuSaQ'a'}.  It's
not from Okrand, however, who has written in HolQeD 4.4:

   The most general word for "school" (a place for learning) is {DuSaQ}.
   A specialized school, perhaps translatable as "academy", is {'ampaS}.
   An organization dedicated to scholastic pursuits or research is a
   {yejHaD} "institute" or "institution" or a {yej'an} "society". The
   distinction between {yejHaD} and {yej'an} is not clear, though the
   former is usually--but not always--used for larger organizations."

Voragh

Back to archive top level